Monday, December 13, 2010

Elevators, Strangers and Hormones

Conversation in an Elevator Today.

This is a true story.

Scene: I was taking the elevator downstairs this morning to get my breakfast of cheese grits. I was completely focused on the cheesy goodness I was about to partake in. Mty concentration was interrupted when the elevator doors opened and I was joined by a familiar lady from my building. This lady immediately stares directly at my stomach. I am not exaggerating when I say she was staring laser holes through my cardigan.

I politely smiled at her and said, “Are you staring at my stomach?”

I was thinking to myself if she is going to make me uncomfortable, I will make her uncomfortable.

Lady: “No.”

Me: (still smiling ever so politely.) “Really, I could have sworn you were staring at my stomach.”

Lady: (nervous laughter) “No.”

Me: “Oh, well if you WERE staring at my stomach, I can tell you that YES indeed I am pregnant and I am due in April.”

Lady: “I thought you looked different in the middle. Congratulations!!!! That is wonderful news!”

Me: “Thank you. I am very excited.”

Lesson Learned. People lie to your face. Even practical strangers. And then act like your best friend. I was waiting for her to jot down her address for an invite to my baby shower. Ridiculous.

4 comments:

  1. Love the new format and decor. I am sure she was just jealous of your cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhh noo... I wasn't staring at your stomach... I was looking at your ... belt?? No, your belly button... errr.... yeah I was staring at your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. فنى مصاعد

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. تركيب مصاعد

    ReplyDelete